AIM (Achievement in Music)
Chairman – Pam Eyerly
ISMTA has developed a non-competitive audition program for students of piano and theory. As the students progress year by year from beginning through advanced levels, they receive a rich training in performance and theory. Recognized nationally as a superior program for the development of comprehensive musicianship, the yearly evaluation provides your students with the opportunity for goal setting and the rewards of musical accomplishment. Even if you choose not to enroll your students in the audition, AIM materials may prove valuable – the repertoire manual lists multiple sources when available and categorizes music according to grade level and musical period.
What? An examination system covering twelve levels for piano. Theory exams include sight reading, ear training, harmonization, and written exams. Performance exams include demonstration of technique skills and performance of pieces.
Why? This provides teachers with guidelines in establishing curriculum. In addition to setting standards by which student achievement may be recognized and evaluated, it develops disciplined practice habits. Provides accountability for both teacher and student.
When? Theory exams for Levels III – XII are administered in the fall. Performance exams, which include theory for level I and II, are administered in the spring.
- Purchase an AIM Syllabus.
- Read it thoroughly and list any questions regarding anything that is unclear.
- Meet privately with an experienced AIM teacher who will answer your questions,or attend an AIM workshop if there is one.
- Volunteer to help as a hostess/timer or with scheduling, etc. to familiarize yourself with the process.
- Come to the judges meetings to observe and become familiar with the examination forms and procedures.
- Choose 2 or 3 motivated students to begin with and get started!
Theory Exams November 19 & 20, 2016
Performance Exams March 25 & 26, 2017
It is PAMTA’s policy that teachers collect fees from their students, and make one single payment to PAMTA .
- Theory Exam Enrollment
- Repertoire Source 1A,1B, 1C
- Repertoire Source Level II-XII(1)
- Repertoire Source Level II-XII(2)
- Level 1A, 1B, 1C Performance Score Sheet
- Level 2, Performance Score Sheet
- Level 3, Performance Score Sheet
- Level 4-9, Performance Score Sheet
- Level 4-9, Performance Score Sheet, p.2
- Level 10-11, Performance Score Sheet
- Level 10-11, Performance Score Sheet, p.2
- Bradley University Campus Map
- Illinois Central College Campus Map
- Level 12, Performance Score Sheet
- Level 12, Performance Score Sheet, p.2
- Alternate Scale Fingering
- Sample Written Test
- Technique Examples
- arpeggio_2-inversion_4-6-7-prog-3 chord-prog_9-12_octave-scales chord-progressions_4-8 five-finger-patterns_1-3